Thursday 7 February 2013

TQ Aquathlon

The Triathlon Queensland state Aquathlon champs were held down on the Gold Coast at the Broadwater Parklands on the 20th January. As part of the club championship series, there was a large contingent from Vision racing to collect valuable points for the club as well as individual points for the TQ athlete of the year competition.

The race comprised a 2.5km run followed by a 1km swim and a final 2.5km run. Short and sharp but by no means easy! Being a smaller event there was no open category so I was racing in the 20-24 age category. We were the second last wave to start with only the under 20 girls behind us. As I'm used to doing the run at the end of the race when I'm already fatigued, I felt fantastic on the first run. Choosing the right pace to run at was tricky as although the run was only a short 2.5kms, I felt good and wanted to go out hard, I was conscious not to go out too hard at a pace I couldn't sustain through the swim and second run. I stuck with the front runners from my wave until the run turn then still feeling good, I put in a mini surge out of the turn and opened up a gap that extended into the first transition.

Run Start

T1 was interesting as I had to take my runners off with speed (I usually only have to worry about putting them on), take my sunnies off, grab my cap and goggles and put them on while running down to the water. Before the race I had been envisioning my cap sticking horribly to my hair and not going on, or sliding off my forehead but thankfully with my trusty talcum powder it went on like a dream and I managed a smooth transition down to the water. Others were not so lucky with an elevated heart rate wreaking havoc on an unfamiliar transition. I heard many accounts of people forgetting to take their sunnies or shoes off with Paul even making it into the water with his shoes still on! It just goes to show the importance of practising things like this until they become second nature; so often in a race can your mind escape you!!!

The swim was a two lap course with a turn around on the beach to begin lap 2. The swim is usually one of my stronger legs but I found it a real challenge in this race. I didn't find getting the blood back into my arms after running as hard as I had expected however the challenge came from no clear water to swim in! In all the races I've done over the past 2 years I have been racing in the open category and have only had the males in front to contend with (which I very rarely ever catch up to). In contrast, being in the second last wave in this race meant that by the time I got to the swim there was a continuous string of athletes of all ages and abilities around the entire swim course. I was constantly weaving and sighting; skills that have somewhat dissipated with my lack of racing in situations like this. I feel a bit spoilt now knowing how much easier (and more pleasant... however the swim can be even more aggressive in open/elite races!!!) I have it in my races normally!

I made it around the 1km swim in a respectable time and headed off to the more familiar transition back into my run shoes and onto the final 2.5km. By this point in a non-drafting race the field has usually spread out, and with the run being my weakest leg I very rarely catch many people on the run. One advantage of having started in one of later waves however was that in this race I had many runners ahead of me that I could concentrate on catching - a nice confidence booster and motivator! I crossed the line first in my age category with my training buddy Clare White finishing in second.



It was a successful day all around for Vision with everyone pulling off a good race, and Coach Cath and Tyler also placing 1st and 3rd in their respective categories.


Thanks to Triathlon Queensland for putting on such a well organised and enjoyable event. Much fun was had by all and I'll be sure to be back next year!

Next up for me is my first ITU race of the season down in Geelong this weekend!

Gillian

No comments:

Post a Comment