Monday 4 February 2013

January Update

After three weeks at home on an individual program it is so good to be back in Brisbane training with Vision again! I had a great time in Armidale doing all the rides and runs I used to love, and catching up with former coaches and training mates. Thanks to everyone I trained with over Christmas/New Year!

Despite having a number of great people to train with I still had to do a lot of sessions on my own. I really learnt the value of having others to train with and after a number of 3 hour bike/run sessions by myself have come to appreciate how lucky I am to do most of my training with such a great squad - thanks to everyone from vision for making those hard miles fly by!

It wasn't all hard yakka though, taking the opportunity to do a bit of cross-training including mountain biking and kayaking!

Exploring the Pine Forest
Kayaking at Myall Lakes with mum

On the 6th of January the Armidale Triathlon Club held it's first race for 2013 and I was excited to take part again. Despite being so close after Christmas and New Year there was yet another fantastic turn out for the race. It was a great day, and a big congrats to Haydo who broke the hour for the first time! I managed another PB for this course and was feeling well and truly fired up for the QTS race 4 at Robina the following weekend.

Consistent with the weather of late, Robina pulled out a hot one for race day. I had a strong swim exiting in 2nd. Once out on the bike course I set my focus on catching Maddi Allen who had a 20 second lead out of the swim. Given my results from the past race I was confident that I would be able to ride myself into the lead. My body decided differently however and I struggled to settle on the bike. Maddi started putting time into me and approaching half way through the cycle I was caught by Courtney Dutton, Sarah Deuble and Brooke Willis. I used this opportunity to refocus and slotted in behind them, concentrating on maintaining the 7m gap to comply with the non drafting rule but not letting them put any ground into me. I had a fast T2 starting the run ahead of the girls I'd come in with but was soon overtaken by Sarah Deuble and a km or so into the run by Anna Jefferies. I tried to hold my run form but with the sun beating down and heat radiating off the road any break neck pace was out of the question! I held on to finish 4th with Sarah and Anna catching Maddi to finish 1st and 2nd respectively. It was not the result I had been hoping for but given I was in the middle of a big training block and not used to the humidity having returned from Armidale the previous day it was a solid result. Kudos to the girls from DAT who were riding so well on the day and Anna for a smoking run despite the heat!

Mum decided to take the trip with me from Armidale to watch me race, help me transport my stuff back, and also have a go at the enticer!! It was great to have her there and I'm proud to say she managed to pull off a second place in her category despite hating the heat even more than I do!


Mum with her medal
Gillian

No comments:

Post a Comment